Tuesday, May 6, 2014

DVD Shelves

So the entertainment center still didn't have enough room for all of our DVDs.  For the past year or so they were piled high on a cheap-o WalMart shelf. After redoing the living room they really stuck out like a sore thumb.

So one Sunday Craft Day I decided to do something about it!
I swung by Home Depot and grabbed some 1x6 common board. 
First I cut it in 2 foot sections.  I also cut 6 inch sections then cut them diagonally to create triangles.  These will be the sides of the shelves.


To assemble one shelf I used one 2 foot section and two 6 inch triangles.
Here are a couple of tricks I use when using a drill.

1. I pre screw everything! It is so much easier to put two screws in something flat and then I don't have to worry about holding screws when I am attaching two pieces. 



2. I brace pieces up against the edge of my tool bench. I don't have a ton of strength behind a drill and I am not coordinated at all!  In this picture you can see how I brace the triangle piece in between the wall and the shelf. 


Below you can see how I put the shelf together.  I wanted to put the triangle sides on the shelf so the DVDs would not fall off. 


Now I could have stopped here... but I didn't.  I wanted to add a decorative trim piece on the front of the shelf.  I found these in the trim section by the crown molding.  I cut these in 2 foot sections and used Gorilla Wood Glue to attach them to the front of the shelves. 


Then I put an extra piece of wood that I had to hold the trim pieces down while the glue dried. 


Last but not least, a coat of blue paint. This is the same paint I used on the inside of the entertainment center. 
Here is the final product! 


Here is a close up of the super cute trim piece. 


And here is the before and after shot. You can see how much nicer the shelves look!




No comments:

Post a Comment