Sunday, June 8, 2014

Built-In, Custom Shoe Racks

When I had finally convinced Ray to let me create my dream closet room, I decided that I would take the original closet of the room for my shoes. (Yes I can fill an entire closet full of shoes!)

HomeDepot has pre-finished closet shelves in many sizes. This is what I used to create my shoe racks. This way I didn't have to finish them.

First I measured the width of my closet.  The top board would go the entire width of my closet.  

I knew I wanted a side for my boots so I took my tallest pair of boots and measured them.  This is how I got the shelf height for the right side of the shelves.  

I then measured the height of my tallest heels.  This is how I got the shelf height of the left size of the shelves.  

Once I got the wood, I first cut the top long board.  Then I cut the middle board that would support the top shelf and the other shelves would attach to it also.  

Now these shelves are really nice looking but once you screw into the small edges of them, they tend to split.  So instead of screwing into the edges I created a ledge for the shelves to rest on.  I used some leftover plywood that I had lying around. You can see these pieces in the picture below.

Once I had the top and middle pieces in and the plywood pieces attached, I cut the remaining shelves and just slid them in.  Here's what the finished project looks like. 



I added a shoe rack that I already had from target on the top left side and filled it in with shoes.  There almost wasn't enough room! But now my shoes are all organized and easily visible! 


Check out my other blog post to see the entire finished closet room here.

No comments:

Post a Comment