Tuesday, June 17, 2014

4th of July Wreath

Summer is finally here!! 
I say that because I teach first graders and our school year is FINALLY over.  We went until June 11th which is abnormally long for Missouri!

So now that summer has come around I have a lot of projects in the works. Here is one I just completed:


Ray's family celebrates the 4th of July bigger than they celebrate any other holiday, including Christmas! All of the family comes over.  We swim in the pool, eat great food, and shoot off lots and lots and LOTS of fireworks! 
I made a wreath similar to this for one of my friends a month or so ago and I thought it would look cool in a red, white, and blue pattern. So I headed to the store.

Things you will need for this project:
a foam wreath
tulle rolls
a wood letter
acrylic paint/ spray paint
a hot glue gun

For the first wreath I made I got the foam piece at Michael's and it was around $9.  I got the second foam wreath at Walmart for $5.  Same wreath! 
The rolls of tulle are cheapest at Hobby Lobby if you go when they're on sale (which is like every other week!) 

So first you need to cut strips of tulle.  I lay mine out on the table.  They're about 12-14 inches long. You need to cut a lot of these.  I used a little more than a roll of white tulle for this one wreath. 


Next you start tying the tulle to the wreath one piece at a time.  This is a normal double knot.  Just like the first step I teach my kiddos when they're learning to tie their shoes.  I hold the wreath in between my knees so I can get the knots facing out. 


For this particular wreath I did a pattern- 5 white, 5 blue or 5 white, 5 red. Since the blue tulle was sparkly and a MESS, I did it all at once. (I would not recommend buying the sparkly tulle.  Once you get it tied on you have more glitter on yourself than the tulle!) Since I did all the blue at once I had to squeeze the white in so I used a piece of tulle to tie back the blue. 


Once all the tulle was tied on I painted the letter.  Ray's family name is Sales so I chose the letter S.  I sprayed it with grey paint that I had in the garage.  Then I hand painted the stars with acrylic paint.  When it was all done I sprayed it with glow in the dark paint just because its fun!
Last step is to find where you want the letter and put two big drops of hot glue to secure it to the wreath. 


And there you have it!


Here is the wreath I made for my friend a while back using the same process:


*Sorry it is sideways, not sure why that is.

On this wreath I also added a giant purple flower! 

I hope you have fun making your wreaths!! :D





No comments:

Post a Comment