Sunday, June 8, 2014

Crafty Origins

Lots of my friends think that I have to be the crafty one in my family, but that is not the case.  My grandma is the Craft Queen.  I spent all of my summers (and any other times I could) with my Grandma Sandy.  By the age of three I figured out how to sneak the phone away from my parents and hit speed dial number two to call Grandma.  

Her main hobby is sewing and quilting but she has many other talents.  She built and restored dolls, she created ceramics, and she painted.  We were always doing something crafty when I was with her. She taught me how to sew when I was two.  Grandma Sandy sat me on her lap.  She would run the foot pedal and I would guide the fabric. I made my first quilt when I was seven.  I never really got into the quilting side of things.  I was way too impatient to hand quilt, and this was way before she got the machine quilter! 

My mom always says that the crafty gene skips a generation just like the green thumb gene.  My great grandma was not very crafty but could grow anything.  So is my mom. My grandma and I can hardly keep any plants alive (especially me) but we're super crafty. 

So since my Grandma Sandy is the one who has inspired all of my crafty-ness I wanted to recognize her!

These are pictures of a quilt she recently made for my dad.  As she was making this quilt, my Pappoo (grandpa) decided he needed one too. So she actually cranked out two of these babies!


This is a quilt tribute to Route 66.  


Each panel is HAND EMBROIDERED!! Again, I'm so not patient enough to do this!   



Every time she completes a quilt I am amazed! She makes them like they're no big deal.  I asked her to make a quilt for a silent auction at my school.  She had the top of it done within two days and had it quilted within a week! I swear she has more hours in her day than the rest of us!


She also made the quilt for my bedroom.

These are just two of the many quilts she has created.  There are hundreds more where these came from!

So thank you, Grandma, for my crafty gene and teaching me everything you know! 
I love you!



This is my mom, me, my Grandma Sandy, and my great grandma.


Here we are with my daddy and my Pappoo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment